1. Yoga is often seen as a full body exercise that works wonders for your body. By breathing in deeply while doing various poses, you are getting an easy workout from the comfort of your own house that provides some of the same benefits as a massage. Similar to a massage, yoga can be helpful to those who suffer from insomnia-related health problems such as anxiety, depression, and heart issues. When sleeping troubles start leading to groggy days, here are three reasons to use yoga for a good night’s sleep:
1) Yoga poses combined with calm breathing can slow down your body to release the tension that has built up. Doing a few yoga poses right before bed is a great activity to throw into your nightly routine. If you have tension throughout your body, here are a few poses to release tension and help you sleep better:
- Half seated spinal twist: sit on the ground with your legs outstretched in front. Bend the right knee across the other leg. Place your right arm back on the ground behind you while pulling your bent leg with your left arm. While twisting your spine, inhale and exhale slowly. Repeat with the other side.
- Bound angle pose: sit on the ground with your back straight. Bend your legs and turn the knees outwards towards the ground while bringing your feet together. Place your hands on your lower legs. If you can bring your feet closer to your body without slouching your back or straining yourself, go ahead. Keep your breathing pattern synced as your muscles begin relaxing.
2) Doing yoga before bed allows your body to require less sleep. Each minute you spend doing yoga is a minute less of needed sleep. It eliminates toxins throughout the body which rejuvenates your cells and passageways. Slowed breathing clears the passageways for better oxygen flow throughout the body and especially to the mind. By relaxing your body, yoga helps you fall asleep faster and have a better night’s sleep.
3) Starting your day by doing some quick poses helps wake up your body.Physical activity throughout the day is a natural way to get your body tired. Give these moves a try to help jumpstart your day:
- Stand up and reach your hands to the air while elongating your body to help improve your mental and physical well-being.
- Downward dog: starting with your hands and knees on the ground, lift your hips up into the air. Push your body forward to stretch your shoulders. Lift your heels up to stretch your calves. Hold this pose for thirty second increments. This pose energizes your body and opens up your airway.